USS Razorback, SS 394, North Little Rock, Arkansas
A Balao-class submarine of the Sandlance variant, USS Razorback was built at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery, Maine.
Her keel was laid on 09 September 1943. Razorback was constructed in Drydock #1 at the shipyard, and she was launched, along with two sister ships USS Redfish (SS-395) and USS Ronquil (SS-396), on 27 January 1944. USS Scabbardfish (SS-397) was also launched at the shipyard that day. This was the largest single-day launch of submarines in US history.
After five WWII combat patrols and extensive service during the Cold War, on 30 November 1970, USS Razorback was decommissioned and transferred to the Turkish Navy, where she served until decommissioned on 08 August 2001. She reached her new berth in North Little Rock, 29 August 2004 at the Arkansas Inland Maritime Museum.
USS Razorback (SS-394)
- Arkansas Inland Maritime Museum (AIMM)
- Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
- Historic Naval Ships Association
- Submarine Photo Archive
Little Rock Area
- City of Little Rock website
- Little Rock Convention and Visitors Bureau
- City of North Little Rock website
- North Little Rock Visitors Bureau
Other posts related to the Little Rock area