Warmest year ever?

desert-279862_640

In a press release on Friday, NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) claimed its analysis of world temperatures showed ‘2014 was the warmest year on record’.  The analysis is based on readings from more than 3,000 measuring stations worldwide.

Apparently, it beat out the 2010 record by 0.02°C.

Really.

Really?  0.02°C? (That’s 0.036°F).

The margin of error acknowledged by GSS researchers is five times that value (0.1°C, 0.18°F).

Gavin Schmidt, Director of GISS, released the graphic below on Twitter.

probabilities

 

According to NASA, then, there is only a 38% probability that 2014 was the warmest.  Yet, in the media, it’s presented as proven fact.

Given that NASA says there is a 38% probability it was the warmest, there is a 62% probability that it wasn’t.

I didn’t see that on the evening news or in any of the headlines that proclaimed 2014 the warmest ever.

Global temperatures for all of the years in the table fall within the 0.1°C margin of error.

In other words, the variation has been insignificant.

anthropogenic global warming, climate, climate change, give me a break!, global warming, in the news, media/news, science, science and nature, skeptic

Comments on this entry are closed.

%d bloggers like this:

This site uses cookies for various nonintrusive purposes. See our Privacy Policy for how they are used. By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

This notice is a European Union requirement for sites with advertising or sales. The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close