On the right is a picture of our barely used artificial tree with all the ornaments removed, getting ready for storage until next year.
All of the original lights are still on the tree, still plugged in.
Pretty sad, isn’t it?
During the 2013 holidays, part of one strand of lights went out. We added an extra strand of 50 lights to make up for it.
More lights went out after we set the tree up this season.
Needing another strand of 50 lights, we bought three. Fortunately.
A day or so after adding one of them, more of the original lights went out. Another box of 50 lights were opened and added to the tree.
The evening of December 30th, we noticed more lights out. We didn’t bother to open the third box.
The next day – yesterday – our Christmas ornaments were taken down and stored. After taking off the extra strands that had been added, there was half a strand lit at the top and the same amount lit at the bottom
Our artificial tree is no longer “pre-lit.” It was a bit of a chore, but all of the lights that came with it were removed before storing the tree. It turned out to be easier just to cut the wires into smaller sections rather than try to unwind the light strands from the trees.
My suspicion is that the light strands were damaged during the process of winding, wrapping and attaching them to the tree. I did discover one place were a wire was actually broken.
The tree, itself, is actually in pretty good shape. We’ll probably be using for several more years, string electric lights onto it the “old-fashioned” way.