Increasing trafﬁc in 1927 forced abandonment of Menor’s Ferry, for 35 years the only connection between the east and west sides at Jackson Hole, Wyo. Instead, a steel bridge was built near by over the Snake River. After 22 years of inactivity. the ferry has been restored by Rockefeller interests. The replica was achieved by examining old photographs and original remnants of the rotting ferry gear. New visitors to this ferry at Moose, Wyo. may ride across a real piece of the old West.
Carrying this old Conestoga wagon and team of horses, the ferry makes its initial trip across the Snake River after the restoration.
Menor’s Ferry – the current is the ferry’s “motor.”
A winch changes the angle of the boat in the current and, thus, its direction of travel.
Additional images and information:
An early photo of Menor’s Ferry in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Note the covered wagons on the left.
Another early ferry photo from before the river was bridged. Note the early 20th century auto on the ferry and the dirt road on the far side leading from the ferry landing.
Menor’s Ferry after restoration completion in 1950 carrying covered wagon and team of horses across Snake River.
The current Grand Teton National Park ferry, operated seasonally by National Park Service interpretive rangers and able to carry up to 20 passengers, was built in 1999. The photos below are from a ride we took on it in July 2010.
National Park Service interpretive ranger operating Menor’s Ferry, Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming
On board Menor’s Ferry, looking across the Snake River towards Bill Menor’s cabin and store.